Thursday 22 November 2012

No Splashing out.....Crocheted Bath Mat

Crochet, Bath Mat, Crochet Rug

A nice relaxing hot bath - the perfect antidote to a hard day. Cleansed, warm, relaxed and smelling gorgeous - the last thing you want is to step out onto cold, hard, slippery tiles or floorboards. A soft, warm, dry bath mat is a vital element of that bathtime experience. But.... a bath mat, l find, can be a difficult one. You don't want to just buy any old bath mat. Yet, the usual scenario (for me anyway) seems to be - search, find a few that are unusual but a little too quirky or gimmicky, then find one I love - but it's way out of my price range, and I mean WAY out. I normally end up going to the nearest chain and getting something homogenous that I don't really want. So what's a simple ol' homemaker like me to do? Here's what.....

Crochet Bath Mat, Crochet Rug

Crochet (and knitting for that matter) is big these days - and we aint just talking popularity. Larger hooks and needles, super thick yarn, even rope are being used to create the most gorgeous super- chunky soft creations. What could be better. Not only do they look good but, once you've adjusted to the new weight and dimensions they make-up in super-quick time. In some way it's use is limited - most items of clothing would be too heavy, but WOW, it opens the door to a whole new load of soft furnishing posibilities.

 

You may have gathered already that I'm a big fan of our local 99p store, and can often be seen there rummaging around. I had in my 'come in handy' stash a pack of cotton string I had found there a while ago. Basic but soft, and a nice neutral colour, which when crocheted with a double strand gave a lovely soft but meaty thickness - in fact perfect for a bath mat.
Crocheted in a simple ladder-style pattern using pretty basic stitches it has a textured stripe which looks stylish in a contemporary homespun way, and the 100% cotton content combined with the construction gives it just the right amount of absorbency.


A neat picot border finishes it off nicely. A little bit unusual, it's an expensive and unique looking finishing touch - but a real bargain. would look particularly good with a free standing bath. 


I've been using mine for a while now. It's totally washable and wearing pretty well - in fact i'm going to make another. It can be made in any cotton providing the correct thickness can be acheived, and in different colourways - the options are endless. The construction is very simple and would be great for a beginner. If you can't get hold of the cotton string, a suitable alternative could be two strands of chunky gauge cotton, or one strand of super chunky(bulky)cotton. Here's where you can get the pattern....



Item can be made to order
For details contact thredHED




2 comments:

  1. I've tried this and it's great. Tried for ages to find something to finish off my Victorian bathroom and this is perfect. Planning to make another when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased to hear it. I agree there's not a lot out there that goes with the old-style. Homespun works well.

      Delete